Quality Start San Bernardino (QSSB) is a county-wide program that supports licensed child care programs, family child care programs, and preschools. Beyond the scope of these more traditional environments, QSSB has extended its work to partner with alternative settings, or license-exempt providers and community based programs, like family resource centers, home-visiting programs, libraries and more. Programs that participate in QSSB will receive variations of the following:
Quality rating and improvement supports are based on the Quality Counts CA Rating Matrix. The matrix evaluates early learning programs in the following areas:
- Child development and school readiness, including appropriate learning activities and use of child observation tools and developmental and health screenings
- Teachers and teaching, including lead teacher/family child care home provider qualifications and effectiveness of teacher-child interactions
- Program and environment, including ratios and group size, assessment of the classroom environment, and center director qualifications
Notes on the 2022 - 2023 Program Year for QSSB Participants
Here is what you can expect for coaching, rating, and assessments this program year:
- Coaches will continue to support participants with coaching, resources, and hosting/sharing trainings and Communities of Practice. They will do so with a hybrid virtual/in-person approach. Be sure to check your email for training invites and/or visit the QSSB Training Calendar here.
- Not all sites are required to have a formal quality rating. However, some sites including select CSPP sites will receive a rating.
- Informal assessments will be offered this year for non-CSPP sites. These will be used to inform a site’s Quality Improvement Plan and will not be used for official purposes.